Sunday, December 1, 2013

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

My group and I are doing a collaborative literature analysis on Great Expectations. The other parts of the analysis are on Taylor, Hannah, Ian, Serena, Bailey, and Meghan's blogs.

3. Describe the author's tone. Include a minimum of three excerpts that illustrate your point(s).
Dickens' tone is almost remorseful when he writes about Pip's viewing of his life.
 "Dissatisfied with my fortune, of course I could not be; but it is possible that I may have been, without quite knowing it, dissatisfied with myself." (p. 126)
"It was an unhappy life that I lived, and its one dominant anxiety never disappeared from my view." (p.324)
"The mournfulness of the place and time, and the great terror of this illusion, caused me to feel an indescribable awe as I came out between the open wooden gates where I had once wrung my hair after Estella had wrung my heart." (p.341)

2. Does the author's syntax and/or diction change when s/he focuses on character?  How?  Example(s)?
Dickens' syntax/diction does change a bit when describing characters; he is a little more descriptive.
"A fearful man, all in coarse grey, with a great iron on his leg. A man with no hat, and with broken shoes, and with an old rag tied round his head." (p.1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment