Tuesday, February 11, 2014

hafta/wanna

I've never really been one to just slack off completely, but I've noticed my fair share of people who give up before they even start. I always wondered, why are you doing this to yourself? You could do so much more. In high school, you don't really seem to care what happens academically until the very last year, and once that last year comes, it's either too late, or you have senioritus and don't want to participate in anything. You start thinking about the future, grimacing at all the decisions you have to make and all the paperwork you have to fill out.
I was contacted right before my sophomore year of high school by one of the tennis coaches at Cal. Lutheran University. It wasn't allowed yet to start recruitment, but I wrote back anyways. I started thinking way to hard about college, and the future, and I was just a sophomore, what was I supposed to know? How was I supposed to know what I wanted to major in? Then my junior year, all the emails and letters and phone calls started filing in, and it was even WORSE. My parents asked me constantly, "Did you reply to that coach from that college yet?" No, mom. Thanks for reminding me that my future is calling though. I didn't want to deal with it. But I think it helped me with starting sooner, and getting athletic scholarships before anyone ever did. And it pushed me to do what every student didn't want to do until the very last minute. It feels better now because I've narrowed down the colleges I want to go to.
I think that once graduation hits, everyone will be ready to go to college. I know I'm ready right now. There's no point to high school anymore, I feel, except to go to prom and wear the cap and gown and all that senior crap. I DON'T CARE JUST GET ME OUT OF HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment