Sunday, August 18, 2013

1987 AP Exam... Why.

This test to me was actually a little difficult, maybe I'm rusty on test-taking? Then again, I never have been good at test taking, anyways. But some words were hard for me to understand, and I really needed to look into what each question was before I answered it. I hate tests!!!!! I feel like I get so worn out reading each question, trying to look into each and every answer. And then the essays make me feel like I don't know what I'm talking about towards the end; almost like I trail off into an oblivion that is a short answer. I'm sorry, I've never been fond of these practice tests, to be honest. Not my forte.

1. B
2. E
3. C
4. E
5. D
6. D
7. B
8. A
9. D
10. C
11. A
12. C?
 13. A?
14. E
15. E
16. B
17. D
18. D
19. D?
20. B?
21. A
22. D?
23. D
24. E
25. E
26. E?
27. D
28. B?
29. A?
30. E
31. A
32. D?
47. B
48. A
49. B?
50. D
51. A
52. C
53. D
54. B
55. C
56. B
57. C?
58. D?
59. A
60. D
61. A?

Q. 1:

     George Elliot describes in her writing that "old leisure" is now gone in the modern times. There is not a sign of it in society and to her, it is very disappointing. She has very high standards about the subject and expresses her point describing what the different between her time and the present is.
     In this passage, she uses personification of the word "leisure" and gives a detailed description by describing a formal, simple and pleasant living. She uses words such as stout, gentlemen, contemplative, and innocent of leaders. She expresses that modern times is different and that there are too many unnecessary things. Things are too complicated and people are too concentrated on innovation and change, while her time was more simple and calm, people only "read one newspaper" and "lived chiefly in the country."

Q. 2:

     In The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, the story focuses on the Joads family who are driven away from their home because of a drought, economic hardship, and changes in financial and agricultural industries.
    For the Joad family, they have depended on their farm and agricultural innovation for a living. Now they are caught in the midst of the Dust Bowl and must move to California along with a whole population of "Okies." In California, they have hard times to find a job, find a proper home for everyone and except the changes happening in the era. Although they maintain to earn a fair wage, their are conflicts in the workers class and people are asking for more change such as, less working hours, more money, the end of child labor, which leads to the creations of labor unions. The characters forced to move into a new environment and society are eager to find a way of living and strong dignity for a brighter future.

No comments:

Post a Comment