Monday, September 23, 2013

Vocabulary #6

obsequious:  Obedient.
My dog is obsequious and is a very good listener. Jk I don't have a dog.

Beatitude: supreme blessedness or happiness
I have beatitude when my friends talk to me.

bête noire: something that is particularly disliked
This rerun of vocabulary words is my bête noire right now. I could be taking a shower.

bode: to predict or foretell
I bode that tomorrow will be another awkward day that starts out freezing and ends up blazing hot.
dank: unpleasantly damp and chilly
Don't let yourself be clubbed by dank submission. 

ecumenical: universal
I wish that English was completely ecumenical so that I could translate with everyone.

fervid: intensely passionate
I am only fervid towards tennis.

fetid: having a stale nauseating smell, as of decay
My brother's feet are usually fetid. But he can't help it; he is naturally smelly.

 gargantuan: sometimes capital huge; enormous
This vocabulary list is gargantuan, and I hate it.

heyday: the time of most power, popularity; prime
The 80's is a heyday for many Americans.

 incubus: something that oppresses, worries, or disturbs greatly.
My mind is an incubus of emotions and ideas.

infrastructure: the basic structure of an organization, system.
My house has an infrastructure for doing laundry that no one has followed in the whole history of ever.

inveigle: often fall by into or an infinitive to lead (someone into a situation) or persuade (to do something) by cleverness or trickery
I am good at inveigling my friends into giving me food.

 kudos: functioning as singular acclaim, glory, or prestige
I give kudos to the man who marries Honey Boo-boo. 
Yeah idk.

 lagniappe: something given or obtained as a gratuity or bonus, small trinket
The coach gave a player a lagniappe for all the hard work that was done during the season.

 prolix: boring,
This assignment is prolix.

 protégé: a person who is protected and aided by the patronage of another person
The princess was a protege in the story.

 prototype: one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially
Scientists makes prototypes before the final products.

sycophant: a person who uses flattery to win favor from individuals wielding influence; toady
There is always at least one sycophant who buys their way to getting a good grade.
 tautology: the use of words that merely repeat elements of the meaning already conveyed
The essay topic required to use tautology in order to relate to the passage given.

 truckle: to yield weakly; give in
The little kids truckled and came into the house after smelling the sweet smell of their mother's pie.
Accolade: any award, honor, or laudatory notice.
I got an accolade last week for Athlete of the Week.

Acerbity: sourness, with roughness or astringency of taste.
My sister always makes lemonade with too much acerbity.
 
Attrition: a reduction or decrease in numbers, size, or strength.
We had to make an attrition to the people invited to the party because we did not order enough food and drinks for everyone.

Bromide: a person who is platitudinous and boring.
My sister is a bromide in public.
 
Chauvinist: a person who is aggressively and blindly patriotic, especially one devoted to military glory.
My grandpa was chauvinist who served in the Japanese war.

Chronic: constant; habitual; inveterate
It is chronic to restring my racquets.
 
Expound: to set forth or state in detail
We had to expound our explanation because he didn't understand.
 
Factionalism: of a faction or factions.
The class was big on factionalism and communicating and collaborating with others.
 
Immaculate: free from fault or flaw; free from errors
She wanted to immaculate herself after all of the drama that she went through.
 
Imprecation: the act of imprecating; cursing.
My friend once got in trouble with our tennis coach because of her imprecation at practice. It was funny.
 
Ineluctable: incapable of being evaded; inescapable
Sometimes I get this sad feeling that is ineluctable but I don't know where it comes from.
 
Mercurial: animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.
The way she acted was mercurial and everyone around her would always laugh.
 
Palliate: to relieve or lessen without curing; mitigate; alleviate.
I want my stomach ache to palliate.
 
Protocol: the customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality, precedence, and etiquette.
The protocol in my house is that you need to do your homework before you watch TV. Just kidding.
 
Resplendent: shining brilliantly; gleaming; splendid
The lady that did my makeup this weekend made me look resplendent.
 
Stigmatize: to set some mark of disgrace or infamy upon
After betraying the team, the man was stigmatized in several ways.
 
Sub Rosa: confidentially; secretly; privately.
My dad thinks his conversations with my mom about me are sub rosa, but I can hear him easily.
 
Vainglory: excessive elation or pride
She had so much vainglory in her tennis skills that when I defeated her she was in awe.
Vestige: a mark, trace, or visible evidence of something that is nolonger present or in existence
The new flower pot was a vestige of the old flower pot we had kept for over ten years.
 
Volition: the act of willing, choosing, or resolving
We had the will to volition all of our problems in our group of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment