Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What a Character

I have read so many books, I have to take some time for recollection before I even begin to describe who my most memorable fictional character was. And as cliche as it may be to many teenagers, I'm going to have to go with Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It may not be the most advanced book in my disposal, but it was the book that I could relate to most during the time I was reading it. Charlie made such an impression on me right from the beginning, and as I read on, the connection only got stronger. He is so confused, so lost in himself and the world around him that all he knows how to do is write about how he feels. Now, if you have read the book, I am not by any means saying that I am mentally ill, or depressed, nor do I smoke or have nearly the same amount of troubles he has, but his character means something to me. He is so calm about everything yet has a mind of tangled scribbles, and that's how I feel I am. The only way to organize my head full of thoughts is to untangle them in writing. In the book itself, there is a lot of imagery, and connections made with the main character and his inner conflicts. It helps the reader understand what Charlie is going through, and the book itself gets one to think deeply about their life. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment