Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vocabulary 7

shenanigans: mischief.
My brother and I like to get into shenanigans together.

ricochet: to move in this way, as a projectile.
The rocket ricocheted into the earth as we ran helplessly.

schism: division or disunion.
There is an unfortunate schism between my dad's family and ours.

eschew: to abstain or keep away from; shun; avoid.
My mom tries to eschew from chocolate.

plethora: overabundance; excess.
We own a plethora of old tennis racquets.

ebullient: overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement.
She was ebullient because she finally was asked to homecoming.

garrulous: excessively talkative in a rambling manner.
I don't understand how he can be so garrulous and still have more to talk about.

harangue: a scolding or a long or intense verbal attack.
My coach gave me a harangue because of my terrible performance today.

interdependence: mutually reliant on each other.
My sister is very interdependent on my mom when she is at home.

capricious: odd notion or unpredictable change; erratic.
He is so capricious that I never know what will happen next.

loquacious: talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering; babbling.
 This vocabulary word "loquacious" is sort of like "garrulous".

ephemeral: lasting a very short time.
This senior year will be ephemeral.

inchoate: not yet completed or fully developed.
My backhand stroke is very inchoate and it doesn't even go over the net.

juxtapose: to place close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast
I decided to juxtapose my parents, and my mom is way more laid back than my dad.

perspicacious: having keen mental perception and understanding.
My teammate is very perspicacious towards calculus, yet I am not.

codswallop: nonsense; rubbish.
One of my teammates didn't show up to our important match today because she is "sick". But she isn't. That is just codswallop. I'm pissed. We freaking lost.

mungo: a low-grade wool from felted rags or waste.
I still don't understand what the heck a mungo is.

sesquipedalian: given to using long words.

wonky: shaky, groggy, or unsteady; stupid; boring; unattractive.
Her face is wonky and reminds me of a horse.

dipthong


No comments:

Post a Comment